Thursday, August 14, 2008

Heartache

Mitchell completed his 2nd week of preschool today. Today was a heartbreaking day. I have been told by teachers and veteran parents that the 2nd week of preschool is usually a reality check for your child.. the initial excitement is gone and your child realizes that mommy leaves for a few hours without you...Mitchell reached that moment today. He clung to my leg for dear life, he was crying and begging me not to leave. "mommy I don't want to go to school, I want to be with you" "Don't leave me mommy, don't leave me"... My heart literally broke.. I stayed with him for a few mintues and tried to calm him down, I even tried to start his art project with him... no dice... Tears were pouring out of his eyes... I told him how much I love him and that I would be back in a few to pick him up and gave him a kiss. His teacher Mrs. Dina asked if she could take him and I nodded... She picked him up and took him to the art table and calmed him down....Of course my heart was breaking and I wanted to stay with him or just take him with me but, I had to be strong and stand my ground- as painful as it was to see and hear my baby begging for me to take him home, I left the classroom. So I loaded Alexander in the car and did what any parent would do... I waited for another parent that I knew, who had just dropped her kid off and asked how Mitchell was doing. I was relieved to hear that he was no longer crying and doing well.
Despite this blog entry being sad.. Mitchell and I both recovered. We are doing ok.

No comments: